Diverse & Resilient Launches Artist in Residence Program
February 10, 2014
Diverse & Resilient is partnering with the Mary Nohl Foundation to offer an artist in residence program for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender participants in 2014. Visual artist Maureen Kane and improv theater group Playback Milwaukee Theatre will mentor participants in creating their own works of art to display publicly throughout the year.
The program aims to give LGBTQ youth and adults positive outlets for self-expression to heal from the traumas of oppression and discrimination and to give voice to LGBTQ people’s unique experiences and gifts. LGBTQ people of all ages are invited to join these sessions to work with our two artists.
Maureen Kane, owner of MMK Design, will lead sessions in collage, painting, and self portraiture. Participants will explore various art media to express their life experiences.
Playback Milwaukee Theatre will teach participants to bring their experiences to life in a group setting through acting, movement, and dance.
The projects will be displayed at PrideFest on Friday-Sunday, June 6-8, 2014. Final preparations for both projects will take place between Monday, May 26 and Saturday, May 31, 2014.
Workshop sessions are listed below. To participate, please email Marquita Redd, MFA or call (414) 390-0444.
Maureen Kane, MMK Design
- Wednesday, February 12 (4:00-6:00)
- Monday, March 3 (4:00-6:00)
- Wednesday, March 12 (4:00-6:00)
- Monday, April 7 (4:00-6:00)
- Wednesday, April 16 (4:00-6:00)
- Monday, May 5 (4:00-6:00)
- Wednesday, May 14 (4:00-6:00)
Playback Milwaukee Theatre
- Monday, February 24 (5:00-8:00)
- Monday, March 10 (5:00-8:00)
- Monday, March 24 (5:00-8:00)
- Monday, March 31 (5:00-8:00)
- Saturday, April 26 (11:00-3:00)
- Saturday, May 3 (11:00-3:00)
- Monday, May 12 (5:00-8:00)
- Monday, May 19 (5:00-8:00)
- Saturday, May 24 (11:00-3:00)
**after Mar 24, Playback will not be accepting new participants
All sessions will be held at Diverse & Resilient, 2439 N Holton St., Milwaukee.